Hope Meets Grandma!

Hope, 7 Months

Our trip back from back from California started out well enough. OnStar got us lost in downtown San Diego (when I asked for directions to the nearest beach, they sent me to Beach Street market, in the middle of downtown San Diego). Then they sent us clear over to an island when I called for new directions to an actual beach.  The new puppies in the back only howled for a couple hours before deciding to quiet down. The visit to the beach (once we actually got to one) was wonderful, the best part of the whole trip! Then we hit the road heading back toward NM, with a stop along the way to visit Richard’s mom and sister.

Hope got to meet her Grandma (Richard’s mom) for the first time, and was a big hit. She was welcomed with open arms, new toys to play with, and had excited smiles to share with everyone.  Hope was infatuated with Grandma’s new Pearls and loved playing with them. We had a nice visit, and Hope got to spend a happy afternoon with her Grandma. 

Hope, 7 MonthsGrandma & Hope, 7 Months
( Click on any photo to view image full-size! )

After our visit we hit the road again, a little later than intended, but planning to reach home by midnight. Hope had other plans though. After about 30 minutes back on the road, she decided she was done being in the carseat. So, we stopped for dinner, let her relax for a while, then tried it again. This time we only made it about 20 minutes of driving before she decided she was done. After another 30 minutes of trying, unsuccessfully, anything to keep her happy, we pulled off on the side of the road to take her out and feed her. With Hope nice and happy, we figured we could finally get back on the road and headed home … guess we forgot to ask her approval on that one because the car-seat did not go over well again. It didn’t take long before Richard or I could stand her being so upset, so we stopped at a gas-station with a tasty freeze and sat down to enjoy an ice-cream cone  for a while. As long as she was out of the carseat, Hope was as happy as can be! This time when we started driving again, she lasted about 30 minutes before she started crying. By now, it was after 9PM and of we drove straight thru the rest of the night we wouldn’t reach home until 6:00 the next morning… and Hope was bawling again. We finally gave up, found the nearest cheap hotel, and called it a night. As soon as she had a bed to stretch out in, Hope was sound asleep for the night.

The next day we started early and made it home in decent time, despite construction slowdowns, wind so strong we could not see more than 50 feet in front of the car thru the blowing dust, rainstorms, sleet, then snow. It sure was nice to finally make it home and be out of the weather and the car!

Leave a Reply